On Thursday 29th October 2020, The SNPs Office of the Westminster Foundation for Democracy, The National Democratic Institute, and Oxfam Malawi held a Media and Communication Workshop for Malawi’s Parliamentary Women’s Caucus at Bingu International Conference Centre in Lilongwe. The overall aim of the workshop was to deliberate on the best ways to enhance public perception towards women as leaders, and build support for pro-women electoral reforms and gender responsive legislation.
The workshop had the following objectives:
- To enhance knowledge around the electoral reform process
- To generate a submission on electoral reforms that represents the interests and beliefs of the Parliamentary Women’s Caucus
- To empower female Members of Parliament to utilize the media in enhancing women’s voices
- To engage in an open forum discussion on the challenges femlae politicians face and how the Media can tackle these cultural norms and perceptions in their reporting
- To provide a networking opportunity between members of the PWC and journalists in order to develop and establish a positive working relationship between the two groups.
- To provide practical advice and assistance in working with the media